What are some ways that we can incorporate intervention into our science classes? It does not matter how small or how complex the idea is. Thanks for any input.
I have a book I'd like to share on differentiating science with menus. I will try to remember to bring it for you to review. It's by Laurie Westphal -- you may already be familiar with it.
One thing I do is to use science words as bonus words on our spelling tests. The students must spell the word correctly and define it or give an example to get the extra points. I also create word lists (for all subjects) in Spellingcity.com (free) and have the students complete the associated activities (matching games, unscramble, hangmouse, sentence writing, etc.).
I think looking at your data and analyzing what the student weaknesses are can be very helpful. Once you know what concepts students are struggling with, try to think of as many ways to incorporate those concepts into your day. It may be a quick question at the beginning of class each day, vocab review while waiting in line, bonus question on the end of a quiz, quick game at the end of the day while getting ready for the bell, bonus homework for a reward, ticket to get out of class, etc. Have a goal to incorporate something to review each week in your lesson plans and you are more likely to remember to do it.
Corina Garcia says... Look at the data! I try to “debrief” after assessments and correct common errors that may be addressed while the concept assessed is fresher in the brain. With my whole group, I try to work the concept into warm-up questions and once in a while, I write a bonus question on the board to add to a quiz. If possible, small group work on brief investigations, demonstrations, and video give the students experiences that they may be lacking to make their connection to the material. (I’ve seen some great video of science investigations that are part of the Pearson science textbook series at last year’s CAST.) Oftentimes, we don’t know what a student’s background knowledge is on the concept, so when in doubt, revisit! Students need to practice talking about the concept and use appropriate science vocabulary while they are talking about science. The next step is then writing about what they have talked about. Both whole group and small group afford opportunities for talking and writing – with ELL’s this is especially important! Finally, as far as assessment is concerned, students need practice reading and solving a variety of test items for practice. This can be done in a variety of formats such as: game, puzzle, partner, team, and whole group scenarios. That said, time is usually a factor – and we don’t have a lot of extra time!
I also believe it is important to give our students ample opportunity to practice using academic vocabulary. The kids so easily resort to using informal language because that is what they are comfortable with. The teacher needs to persistently urge them to step outside of their comfort zone and express themselves completely and accurately.
I have a book I'd like to share on differentiating science with menus. I will try to remember to bring it for you to review. It's by Laurie Westphal -- you may already be familiar with it.
ReplyDeleteLater,
Mildred
One thing I do is to use science words as bonus words on our spelling tests. The students must spell the word correctly and define it or give an example to get the extra points. I also create word lists (for all subjects) in Spellingcity.com (free) and have the students complete the associated activities (matching games, unscramble, hangmouse, sentence writing, etc.).
ReplyDeleteI think looking at your data and analyzing what the student weaknesses are can be very helpful. Once you know what concepts students are struggling with, try to think of as many ways to incorporate those concepts into your day. It may be a quick question at the beginning of class each day, vocab review while waiting in line, bonus question on the end of a quiz, quick game at the end of the day while getting ready for the bell, bonus homework for a reward, ticket to get out of class, etc. Have a goal to incorporate something to review each week in your lesson plans and you are more likely to remember to do it.
ReplyDeleteCorina Garcia says... Look at the data! I try to “debrief” after assessments and correct common errors that may be addressed while the concept assessed is fresher in the brain. With my whole group, I try to work the concept into warm-up questions and once in a while, I write a bonus question on the board to add to a quiz. If possible, small group work on brief investigations, demonstrations, and video give the students experiences that they may be lacking to make their connection to the material. (I’ve seen some great video of science investigations that are part of the Pearson science textbook series at last year’s CAST.) Oftentimes, we don’t know what a student’s background knowledge is on the concept, so when in doubt, revisit! Students need to practice talking about the concept and use appropriate science vocabulary while they are talking about science. The next step is then writing about what they have talked about. Both whole group and small group afford opportunities for talking and writing – with ELL’s this is especially important! Finally, as far as assessment is concerned, students need practice reading and solving a variety of test items for practice. This can be done in a variety of formats such as: game, puzzle, partner, team, and whole group scenarios.
ReplyDeleteThat said, time is usually a factor – and we don’t have a lot of extra time!
That’s my two cents for now.
Corina
I also believe it is important to give our students ample opportunity to practice using academic vocabulary. The kids so easily resort to using informal language because that is what they are comfortable with. The teacher needs to persistently urge them to step outside of their comfort zone and express themselves completely and accurately.
Delete